Acrylic nails are artificial nail extensions that are made by mixing a liquid and a powder. The mixture forms a soft dough that can be shaped and sculpted on your natural nails. Acrylic nails can change your nails’ shape, length, or color. They can also be decorated with nail polish, gel polish, or dip powder.
How Long Do Acrylic Nails Last
Acrylic nails can last for about two to three weeks before they need to be filled or removed. Filling is adding more acrylic to the base of your nails to cover the gap that forms as your natural nails grow. Removing is soaking your nails in acetone to dissolve the acrylic and then gently scraping it off.
Some factors can affect how long your acrylic nails last. These include:
- The quality of the products and the application. Using high-quality acrylic products and having a skilled nail technician apply them can make your acrylic nails last longer and look better. Avoid using products that contain MMA (methyl methacrylate), which is a harmful chemical that can damage your natural nails and cause allergic reactions. Look for products that contain EMA (ethyl methacrylate), which is safer and more flexible.
- The shape and length of your nails. Some forms and sizes are more prone to breaking or lifting than others. For example, square or coffin-shaped nails tend to be more fragile at the corners, while almond or oval-shaped nails are more durable. Similarly, longer nails are more likely to get caught on things and break, while shorter nails are more manageable.
- The care and maintenance of your nails. Taking good care of your acrylic nails can help them last longer and prevent infections or damage to your natural nails. Some tips for caring for your acrylic nails are:
- Avoid using your nails as tools. Please don’t use them to open cans, peel stickers, or scratch things. This can cause your nails to crack, chip, or lift.
- Wear gloves when doing household chores. Water, chemicals, or heat exposure can weaken your acrylic nails and make them more likely to fall off or get infected.
- Moisturize your nails and cuticles. Use nail oil or a hand cream to keep your nails and cuticles hydrated and healthy. This can also prevent your acrylic nails from becoming brittle or yellow.
- Keep your nails clean and dry. Please wash your hands regularly and dry them thoroughly. Use a soft brush to gently clean under your nails and remove any dirt or debris. Avoid biting or picking at your nails or cuticles, as this can cause damage or infection.
- File and buff your nails. Use a fine-grit file to smooth out rough edges or uneven surfaces on your acrylic nails. Use a buffer to polish your nails and restore their shine. Be gentle and avoid filing too much, as this can thin out your acrylic layer and make it weaker.
- Apply a top coat. Use a clear top coat to seal and protect your acrylic nails. This can also help your nail polish last longer and prevent chipping or fading. Reapply a top coat every few days to maintain the appearance of your nails.